Tom Holkenborg’s SCORE Academy provides a singular opportunity. Students will be embedded in Tom’s working studio, receiving a full-contact curriculum designed by Tom himself to create complete film composers. The Academy aims to raise students skill sets to the highest level in all aspects of scoring, sound design programming, music production and music technology, and film music business.
The SCORE Academy takes a deep dive into production, tackling mixing, working in surround sound, cue structure, sample and plug-in usage, among many other technical skills. Outside the studio the program also provides insight on navigating director/composer relationship and workflow, marketing and promotion, and the business side of Hollywood.
It is developed for top talents preparing to work at the highest international level in film scoring. Education is led by Tom Holkenborg (aka Junkie XL) at no cost with living expenses paid for by the student. This takes place in Tom’s own high-end equipped studios in Los Angeles, where the student work on and around actual film projects.
The length of the program is one academic year, September 16th, 2019 - July 17th, 2020.
SCORE Academy brings the student to a whole new level of being a musician and producer. It raises the students skill set to the highest level in all the aspects of scoring, sound design programming, music production, and music technology.
- How to use thematic material
- How to change colors in film scoring
- How to structure a cue
- How to score dialogue scenes and how to use proper orchestration
- Designing your own material, sweetening samples
- Getting familiar the thousands of synthesizer plugins and Native Instruments Kontakt
- Creating your own sample libraries from scratch
- How to mix and produce your midi tracks
- How to work in surround
- Finishing the score/orchestration/delivery/synth masters/stems
Music Business & More
- How to be well rounded in music knowledge
- Learning about the business side of film scoring: managing, promotion, team building, etc.
- Dynamics of a composer, studio and director
- How to build and work with a team
- How to leave room for originality